Four Winds BMW Riders
Riding from the Three Rivers to the Four Winds...

Forum 05 MAINWhat’s happening . . . ?
Join our Four Winds community for the latest news and views, see who’s here, what’s going on and ask for advice.
One of our members conducts an impromptu tech session at Top O’ the Rockies rally.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Rider Magazine June 2020

Rider Magazine June 2020 4 months 4 weeks ago #2507

• Ron
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Reading Letters to the editor a name caught my attention. Read her response.

FAST MEMORIES
I want to thank you for the Retrospective article on the late ’70s Yamaha XS Eleven (May 2020). Even in those days I read Rider magazine, including the bike reviews. The XS Eleven was my trade-up bike from the Yamaha 750 triple. Got the XS Eleven in March of 1978. As I remember, at the time it was supposedly the fastest production bike. I also believe that later that summer it was detuned to comply with California standards. My then-husband, a roommate and I each bought one on the same day from a local dealer. He graciously gave each of us a helmet! I think the dealer was shocked that a woman had brought these guys in to buy that specific model. I loved that bike! It did everything I needed, and as a 20-something, what did I know about handling and all that stuff? I just knew that it was the “fastest” production bike. At lights I knew that I could smoke anyone who wanted to try to take me off the line. Never had to do it, but was smug in the knowledge that I could! Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

ELSIE SMITH, York, Pennsylvania

Last Edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Ron.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds